What are the requirements to Teach in China

Once you decide to teach in China, you’ll first need to know how to work there legally, as the laws in China can be quite strict. If you’re caught doing illegal things, you’d most likely be deported and have a negative mark put on your record. To legally teach English in China, you’ll need to meet the following conditions: No matter the size of the city you’re in ESL teachers need to hold a work permit according to Chinese law. The requirements, however, are different in each region. If you don't have a degree or other certificates, you can still teach in China, but you’ll just need to spend more time looking for jobs that accept not having those.


Here is an example of the requirements in a first-tier and second-tier city in China:


Degree Requirements:

If you want to work legally in China, you need to obtain a Z Visa, and the prerequisite for applying for this type of visa is to have a BA degree or above. Therefore, a bachelor's degree or above is one of the necessary requirements to teach English in a first-tier city. Fortunately, the Chinese government does not have restrictions on applicants’ major for teaching in China. As long as you have an undergraduate degree or above, you can apply for a work visa. For example, if you have a bachelor's degree in art, you can fulfill this requirement. In addition, the most important point is that in China, a high school diploma and bachelor's degrees are completely different. In the first and second-tier cities, a diploma cannot be used to apply for a work permit, so if you just have a high school diploma, it will be difficult to apply for a work visa in the first and second-tier cities. However, you can try to find a job in some third and fourth-tier cities. They don't have that many foreign teachers in these cities, so their requirements are not as strict.


Teaching certification (TEFL/TESOL/CELTA or 2 years teaching experience)

There are several certificates that could contribute to your application for working in China.

1: TEFL Certificate TEFL is the acronym for Teaching English as a Foreign Language, or simply, English language instruction for non-native speakers. Chinese schools generally require a TEFL certificate of 120 hours or more. Please make sure to choose a course that goes over 120 hours, otherwise the Chinese government will ask for a new certificate that satisfies the full 120 hours. Take note that two separate certificates which add up to 120 hours will not be recognized either. The TEFL program is generally divided into online teaching or offline teaching sections. Generally, both of these are accepted by Chinese schools, but it is best to double check with the school whether or not your TEFL certificate is accepted when accepting the offer. In addition, not all TEFL certificates are accepted by China's Foreign Experts Bureau. Therefore, it’s better to choose a larger and more well-known TEFL institution to ensure your certificate is recognized in China!

2: TESOL TESOL is the second most popular certificate, and like the TEFL, it can reliably show your English teaching qualifications. This also requires over 120 class hours for it to be recognized.


3: CELTA CELTA is a certificate issued by the University of Cambridge. It is considered more specialized and professional than TESOL and TEFL certificates. Generally, CELTA courses are taught in person. If you do not have the above certificate, but you have more than two years of teaching experience, you will only need to provide a reference letter stating that your teaching experience over two years. This recommendation letter is equivalent to a 120 hour TEFL certificate.

What are the requirements to teach in China

How much can you make teaching in China

Understand the Z visa process for teachers in China

ESL  Job Board

Citizenship Requirements and Age


Which countries and regions are English-speaking countries?


Most provinces in China designate these countries as English speaking: United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.

Most schools in cities will prefer native English speakers, but it doesn't mean that non-native English teachers can't find jobs. In some schools, they will hire subject teachers in various subjects including mathematics, music, sports, etc. You need to have a bachelor's degree in the relevant major and teaching experience of the relevant subject. These positions are not restricted by country. In addition, if you are from a non-native English-speaking country, but have an undergraduate certificate in English in a native English-speaking country, you can also try to apply for English teaching positions. Some cities can still issue work visas for teachers from non-native English-speaking countries. Regarding the age of the applicant, it is legally required that people age 18 to 60 can apply for a work permit for teacher positions. However, since teaching is not an easy job, most schools prefer teachers between the age of 20 and 50. Therefore, when you interview with the school, you can ask the school the age limit. This makes it easier for you to find the right job.


A federal non criminal record


When applying for a work permit in China, in addition to a bachelor's degree and teaching qualification certificate, verifying your Non-Criminal Record Report is also essential. Why is it so important? Because schools must ensure that their teachers are safe and reliable for all students, especially children, so schools need teachers with a clean criminal record back in their own counties. If you want to know how to apply for a background check, please see the following link:


Medical check report:


After getting an offer, your agent or school will ask you to provide a medical report. This report will be used for the work visa application process. Therefore, you need to do a simple medical examination at a clinic in your home country. The following is a sample of the medical examination form (LINK). However, in some cities, such as Shenzhen, the Foreign Experts Bureau does not require you to provide a medical examination report. You can provide a document to your commitment of getting a physical, promising to do a physical check in the designated hospital in China upon arrival. Furthermore, even if you provide a medical report in your home country, you may still need to do the medical examination again after coming to China. All teachers need to go to the designated hospital for a medical examination within one month of landing in China to ensure that you will not carry any infectious diseases that may threaten others. This process takes about an hour and includes: blood and urine tests, electrocardiogram and ultrasound tests, pulse and blood pressure tests, breathing patterns, height and weight tests, vision and x-ray tests. You will need 3-5 days to receive the test results. Most teachers can pass the physical examination, but if you have a special disease or an infectious disease, you must inform the school before applying for a work permit to ensure that you can get it smoothly. Otherwise, if the infectious disease is found during the medical examination, the Chinese government will reject your visa immediately.



After you have prepared all of the visa application documents, your agency or school will help you apply for a work permit. This will take around 2 to 3 weeks. After the job application is completed, they will issue a notification of a work permit to invite you to come to China. You can apply for the Z Visa at the local Chinese consulate with the notification of permission to come to China. Please note that this Z Visa is valid for 30 days. Therefore, after you arrive in China, your school needs to help you apply for a work visa consistent with the contract length within 30 days.


Cost of Living the First Month in China

You will need to bring some money before coming to China since you haven't started working yet. How much money do you need to bring? It depends on your salary.

If your school provides accommodation, you will only need to prepare money for your food and other living costs. Prices for everyday necessities are relatively cheap in China. You will spend around 25-40 RMB if you choose to eat in a Chinese restaurant in a first-tier city.

If you choose to cook at home, which is cheaper since you will only spend around 300RMB per week. China's public transportation is very developed and very cheap. The subway and buses in first-tier cities will cost you around 4-8 RMB a day. Taxis are very convenient and inexpensive to take in China too. The transportation costs in second and third-tier cities will be relatively low. Therefore, you can bring around 5000RMB-8000RMB if the school provides accommodation.

If your school does not provide accommodation, you will need to bring more money since you will have to pay for 3 months of rent at first, including 2 months rent as deposit. In a first-tier city in China, renting a one-bedroom apartment close to downtown will cost 3500RMB per month. If you want to save money, you can choose a cheaper apartment to rent or share it with others.

ESL Teaching Jobs in China

International school

International kindergarten

Training center(kids)

Public schools

Training center(adult)

About Us

We are a professional educational institution from China with offices in the United States, Australia and China. We are very proud to connect teachers with great educational opportunities

Jobs on WeChat

Contact Us


Skype ID:

© 2019     LeadingESL   China, All Right Reserved.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Tumblr
  • Instagram